A decent proportion of us Brits will ‘Holiday at Home‘ this year, or to borrow an Americanism, enjoy a ‘Staycation‘ either by taking the family camping, hitch the caravan or drive a motorhome and discover what a great country we all live in.
One of the downsides of UK ‘Staycations’ is, of-course, our Great British Summertime weather – one moment your basking in glorious sunshine the next your taking shelter from the pouring rain as a Squall sneaks up and lets loose.
These adverse weather conditions, especially during the summertime, can catch a lot of campers/caravaners unawares… Their timing is normally associated around BBQ’s – as though the heavens are determined to spoil your fun.
Some folk might think it’s okay to take a lit BBQ into an enclosed area, such as a tent, caravan, chalet or campervan and continue their cooking safe from the rain outside – in-fact it is anything but okay!
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is the by-product of burning fossil fuels (like those used in BBQ’s, especially the throw-away kind you can pick up at the Supermarket for a couple of quid). CO is lethal as it’s a colourless, tasteless, odourless gas and is very hard to detect. CO poisoning can leave sufferers feeling nauseous, exhausted, complain of drowsiness, dizziness and headaches, others might get palpitations or chest pains and lose consciousness.
At it’s worst – CO poisoning can KILL – it has already claimed the lives of innocent campers this year alone!
Please stay safe and be Carbon Monoxide aware this Summer, when out camping or caravanning and it’s BBQ time… For more advice surrounding CO, check out the Carbon Monoxide Awareness website – www.covictim.org – you can even download the FREE App on their website for your sons/daughters to learn more before the start of the festival season.